Life

Death toll of floods in Turkey’s Black Sea rises to 58

The district of Bozkurt was severely hit by the flood.

At least 58 people lost their lives in the floods after heavy rain hit the western provinces of Turkey’s Black Sea region on Aug. 11.
“48 citizens in Kastamonu, 9 citizens in Sinop and one citizen in Bartın lost their lives due to the flood,” Turkey’s disaster office Afad said in a statement on Aug. 15.

Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said efforts were continuing to reach 77 missing citizens, 66 of them being in Kastamonu, the heart of the disaster. Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) said the number of missing people could be higher.

Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said two ships were sent to the region for the evacuation of people and vehicles in the Türkeli district of the province of Sinop. The ministry released post-disaster satellite images of the region taken from Göktürk-1.

Parliament Speaker Mustafa Şentop said it was a mistake to construct buildings by the rivers in the first place. “I hope we will learn a lesson,” he said on Aug. 14.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan addressed citizens in Kastamonu district of Bozkurt on Aug. 13.

The three provinces have been declared disaster zone to benefit from broader reconstruction funds and efforts. Erdoğan’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) postponed its 20th-anniversary celebrations scheduled for Aug. 14.
Interior Minister Soylu told journalists that the picture in Bozkurt was the heavies flood disaster that he ever witnessed.
Meanwhile, Agriculture and Forestry Minister Bekir Pakdemirli said on his Twitter account that all forest fires in the country were under control.
Many neighborhoods and districts were evacuated in the fires that occurred in Muğla, Antalya, Uşak, Adana, Isparta, Denizli and Aydın that started late last month.

YetkinReport

Recent Posts

Two Messages from Ankara to Israel: We Won’t Take the Bait, We Won’t Allow It

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s description of Israel’s strike on the Abu al-Duhur military airbase,…

3 days ago

Erdoğan’s Messages to Trump: “Stop Israel” and “We Will Not Shy Away from War”

There were two current elements missing from the summary of President Tayyip Erdoğan’s phone call…

4 days ago

Parliament approves “Terror-Free Türkiye” roadmap law by a clear majority

The framework law, the key document serving as the roadmap for implementing the “Terror-Free Türkiye”…

2 weeks ago

Topics the Government Needs to Clarify Regarding the Mecca Agreement

The full text of the Defense Agreement signed between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan in…

2 weeks ago

The Middle East Is Being Reshaped: The Türkiye–Saudi Arabia–Pakistan Triangle

The Joint Defense Agreement signed today, August 7, in Mecca by the leaders of Türkiye,…

2 weeks ago

Thanks to Israel, the U.S. is no longer the Arab monarchies’ insurance policy against Iran

When U.S. President Donald Trump announces that he is about to launch the biggest attack…

3 weeks ago